Friday, January 28, 2011

Valentines Advent for Kids

As the mom of three kids ages 4 1/2 and 3 I always have had good intentions of making holidays fun and kid friendly. In the past I have always failed miserably! This year I am making it happen (at least for Valentine's Day!).

I decided to do an Advent type calendar of activities from February 1-February 14. The hardest part (at least until follow-through) was coming up with a list of preschool friendly ideas. After doing that, I made up cards with each activity listed. You can get these cards here. They are based on Index Card templates. I trimmed them, inked the edges with permanent marker and mounted them with Elmer's glue on red cardstock. You could add ribbon to make them cuter.




Here's the plan: I bought this cute basket on sale from Hobby Lobby and will fill it with the materials to make/do the day's activity. Every morning the basket will be displayed for the kids to find and read what we will be doing! I will work the activities around our calendar so that the ones that take the longest will be done on days the kids drive me crazy don't have preschool.

They'll look a little something like this:

On this day I'll feed the kids a lunch similar to this, heart shaped jello (made in heart shaped ice cube trays), and heart shaped valentine cakes.







Other ideas are:
Reading 1 Corinthians 13:4-8
Making heart wreath (out of construction paper)
Making valentine paper chains
Making Oreo truffles
Scavenger hunt
Valentine Bingo

Hopefully this goes well and I can update about how it's going through the month of February. What do you do with your kids to have fun with the holiday?


Linked here:
Fingerprints on the Fridge
Between U & Me
Fireflies and Jellybeans
Life as Lori
Simply Designing

0 comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments! Thanks for taking the time to give us feedback.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails