Monday, January 10, 2011

DIY Candy Jar Apothecary

I'm a little late to this apothocary gig but better late than never, right? I first noticed these things back in the fall from these sisters. I made one for my mom for the fall season with some cute candy corn but of course I didn't take a picture of the process ... so today I'm here with the tutorial. **Disclaimer** I typed this all out while my husband was watching Winter Wipe-Out... that show is REALLY distracting!!! Please forgive any typos...and if you need any clarification just ask! :)

You'll need to get your unfinished wood pieces from your local craft store. I got mine at Hobby Lobby & Michaels (because Hobby Lobby didn't have everything I needed...but your's may!).
I painted these back in the fall... so imagine them in raw wood. :)

You need:
1 candlestick
1 round
1 base
1 finial for the top

Then you need to decide on the jar. I hadn't ever seen these smooth Ball jars ...what a great idea! I ended up using the larger jar with the metal lid.

I used Gorilla Glue and glued the candlestick to the base and put a book on top for about 30 minutes or so. Do the same with the round piece to the bottom of the jar. My jar had a concave bottom the candlestick would have had a hard time attaching to.

Next I took twine and hot glued it all around the metal lid.

I attached the finial with my Gorilla glue to the top of the lid. I would suggest using a screw to secure it. If you use the finial to unscrew the lid you may just pop it right off. :) Also you need to attach the candle stick to the jar. Remember you attached the round circle to the jar - so you have two wooden pieces to glue together.
I went back and sprayed the top of my jar black after I wrapped the twine. The spray paint gets on the twine just a bit which I liked and think it gives it a little more character (and age). If you get a little glue happy (like I did) you may also need to go back and spray paint your wood pieces again to cover up your ooze.

Then I filled it with conversation hearts and added a "J" I got at Hobby Lobby and voila... it's done!

I think this project cost me around $10 since everything I used was on sale. Gotta love those sales!

Linking Here:
Making the World Cuter
Keeping it Simple


We love comments! Thanks for taking the time to give us feedback.


Related Posts with Thumbnails