Monday, January 7, 2013

Kids Bathroom Reveal

I hope you have had a great holiday season! Our family spent 10 days traveling and once we returned home our son came down with a vicious virus that lasted 4-5 days.  Brutal way to start a new year!

However, now that things are settling down I am hoping to knock out a few projects that I have on my to-do list for 2013!

First up - I'm ready to show you our kids bathroom renovation.  While it only involved paint and trim, it created a pretty big change and I'm really happy with how it turned out.  Granted, I still need to get some new towels, replace the faucet & add some "decor" (which is pretty hard for a kids bathroom) it's a whole lot better than it started!






We painted the whole thing top to bottom.... and there is a LOT of cutting in going on in here.  The easiest and most dramatic part of the change was painting the cabinets.  For the prep work I used Krud Kutter to clean the surfaces.  I intended to get the Krud Kutter that is a cleaner AND deglosser...but I bought the wrong kind.  So, I went over everything with this liquid deglosser from Lowes.
 We set up our assembly line in the garage & I got to work priming everything.

I used a small foam roller & a paintbrush for this job.  The foam roller was perfect and left a great finish.  The brush came in handy really only for the crevices in the door insets.

Let's take a stroll down memory lane and see the before & afters!




So, so much better!

Details:
I ended up doing a coat of primer & two coats of color on the cabinets.  We used Sherwin Williams paint and had them color match to Valspar Mountain Smoke.

The walls are Olympic Gray Beige. The handles and hinges are all new and came from Home Depot.
Linked here:
Handy Man, Crafty Woman
Someday Crafts
Not JUST a Housewife
A Bowl Full of Lemons
House of Hepworths

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Kristin! Still have some finishing touches and am hoping to keep my kids toothpaste globs off the floors & counters...but it's progress in the right direction at least! :)

      Delete
  2. You did such a beautiful job with your bathroom makeover! It looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janet! I still have ways to go with decorating it, but I'm so happy with how it turned out! Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  3. Soo gorgeous. Would love to invite you to join our linky party: http://www.finecraftguild.com/party-49/ and show it off to our readers. It's sooo beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your bathroom turned out beautiful and I love your grey cabinets!! I've got this linked to my bathroom DIY's post too today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks so good - I love the paneling.

    I would love for you to link up at the Mommy Archive. We're focused on bathroom makeovers, organisation and cleaning this week but you can also link up your fab old posts on all sorts of other topics from spring cleaning and green cleaning to housework routines and laundry, Alice@ Mums Make Lists x

    ReplyDelete
  6. What finish of paint did you use? Gloss? Semi-gloss?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, it undeniably looks better than before. But I can feel like there's a lot more potential you can unfold in there. Some splash of color would be fun as long as you moderate it. Plus, it's a kids bathroom. I'm sure they’d enjoy seeing more hues in it. ;)

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Thanks for taking the time to give us feedback.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails